Jun 11, 2012

Dolls, earthquakes, a rabbit and a lazy cat

It's a while since I do not update this blog - bad me - but the last month has been very busy.
With family issues, three earthquakes, a rescued rabbit and custom orders, not everything in this order!

The Emilia-Romagna region was hit by a magnitude 6.0 earthquake and in the next weeks by other two quakes that killed more than 25 people and forced more than 14.000 to move out of their homes and inflicted heavy damages to centuries-old cultural sites. The tremors caused the greatest loss to Italy's artistic heritage since an earthquake in 1997 ravaged the Basilica of St Francis in Assisi, where the ceiling collapsed.

The shock was clearly felt as far away as here, some 200 kms (125 miles) to the north.
I was having breakfast all alone, hubby was at work, the kids in school and I was sitting at the table watching the news. All of a sudden my table started to move back and forth and guess what? The first thing I thought was "the cat is moving the table"!!! How in the world could a cat move a table?? And I even watched under the table to see if she was there!!!
Aren't cats supposed "to feel" earthquakes? There she was:

 

Quietly sleeping in my studio, all snuggled up in a box ... !
Totally unreliable!!
The lazy chubby cat during the day sleeps into boxes (and doesn't feel earthquakes) while during the night  goes hunting in the wood (even if her bowl is always full of food!).
Sometimes she comes home with a "present" for her family ... a little mouse, a bird, a dormouse, but this time she came home with this little (dwarf) hare in her mouth.


A new member in our crazy and unusual Family.
The poor little guy was rescued, healed and nursed and as soon as he'll grow a little he will be realeased again in the wood. (When he'll be able to run faster than the cat!!)
In the meanwhile he's living into the cat basket with a lot of fresh and fragrant mountain hay, carrots and salad!

Last but not least some pictures of my latest works. 
I am still in the primitive mood and I am working on dolls:



 
and mermaids, here is the latest one made with one of my patterns:



And here is the strangest custom order ever ... peanuts!!!

I made a bunch in real size with cotton thread, then coffee stained and starched. 
They have passed my son's quality control ... when I make something new I ask him: "what is this?" and if the answer is the right one I go on with my work! 
"... mommy can I eat them??" 
 LOL
 

7 comments:

  1. That tiny bunny is so precious! And your kitty is too! Good to have you back--I always enjoy seeing your latest work. Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pets are adorable.
    Fantastic latest works.
    Bye Faby

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry about the earthquakes you have. Hubby and me love Italy and we are very sad to heard the news.
    About your peanuts: Well, they look like they could be eaten. Are you sure they can't be eaten ? ... lol.
    And your cat could be a relative of mine. Looking oh so relaxed and sleepy ... hahaha and at night .... yep ... hunters.
    We removed the cat door after a night of hunting 1 bird, 1 squirrel and 2 mice! with a shoe box.
    Now he has to show his pockets before entering the house: no living animals in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ciao Mariella! Il terremoto è un'esperienza spaventosa... io ricordo ancora quello dell'Umbria che qui da me si è sentito molto chiaramente!
    Che tenerezza il coniglietto selvatico è bellissimo... il tuo micio inaffidabile è comunque un gran cacciatore ;oP!!!
    bellissimi ed originali come sempre i tuoi lavori!
    bacioni
    Mariarita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tu gatita se ve muy mimosa y el nuevo habitante de tu casa muy simpatico ese conejito.
    A mi me pasa igual le digo a mi nieto esto que es? y si dice lo que es y le gusta....perfecto jejeje
    besitos ascension

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh, so scary those earthquakes, i hope your family is ok.
    When you see that sweet cat in the box you can't imagin he is a hunter. That bunny is too cute so are your new crochet works,i specially love the mermaid. I always ask the same question to my son too, if he reconize it it looks good.
    Hugs
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice posting.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete